No, Money contributed to the United Way is distributed throughout the entire community. Your United Way dollars support libraries, scouting, youth centers and disaster response programs.
First, we want to make it clear that all United Way's are independent and governed by the people in their local communities. United Way Worldwide is the national service training center for United Way across the country. They provide things like training, national advertising, and networking with other United Ways to find solutions that work to solve problems in our communities.
United Way is busy year-round partnering with other local agencies on critical issues. Some other initiatives the United Way offers include:
- Mifflin-Juniata Energy Bank
- A call to United Way to request energy assistance is forwarded to the Mifflin Juniata Human Services where each person's situation is reviewed and appropriate assistance and guidance is offered to help each person make informed choices in order to not need help in the future. The Mifflin-Juniata Energy Bank provides heat assistance to residents of Mifflin or Juniata County ineligible for Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) benefits or those 60 years of age and older.
- The Nurse's Pantry
- The Nurse's Pantry is an in-school resource of toiletries, clothing and wellness products to help children succeed in school and in life. For a family living in poverty, a lack of simple items such as hygiene products and school approved attire can keep children out of school for days. Lost time in school means lost learning time. The Nurse's Pantry supports high-risk students with strategies to tackle chronic absenteeism and encourage early grade success.
The local community. You, along with your families, friends, neighbors and co-workers make up the United Way team. A board made up of people like you, who live and work in this community, direct the United Way of Mifflin-Juniata. Collectively, Community Investment Volunteers invest hours in the process to ensure that we make wise investments in our community with the dollars that you entrust in us.
The United Way annual campaign is an effort to serve the greatest number of people in need. Our United Way reviews each organization and program it funds to give you a greater accountability for your contribution. Knowing that Community Investment Volunteers have already done this investigative work is one benefit. Combining with others makes the greatest impact in our community and that is what matters.
Payroll deduction- Your employer may offer the opporunity to have an amount deducted from your paycheck each pay period.
- Online- You can give directly to the United Way of Mifflin-Juniata by clicking the donate button on the home page.
- Personal Check-Personal checks can be made payable to the United Way of Mifflin-Juniata.
- Bill Me- We would be happy to send a bill to your home on a monthly, quarterly, or one time basis.
Yes! When you make a contribution of $500 or more through the United Way, you are enrolled in our leadership program. You will be recognized in the annual report as a member of the Leader's Circle.
Ninety-nine cents of every dollar stays in the community offering help to local individuals. It is "What Matters" most toward enhancing the lives of others in our area. We can keep a low administrative overhead because of hundreds of volunteers who donate thousands of hours.
Yes. All donations to the United Way of Mifflin-Juniata is invested into the Mifflin-Juniata community unless a donation is specifically designated to an agency outside of Mifflin or Juniata county.